To all visitors of Being Civil blog I’ll take this opportunity to wish you a Happy New Year and may this one be the best one ever!
Yesterday, I got a question from a customer asking is it possible and how to raise or lower group of points. Immediately I thought that should not be the problem but was worried that if we change the datum by some coefficient that all points will be elevated. When I tried it that is exactly what happened. So, no silver bullet there.
However, When thinking about that I thought there must be a workaround for this. With little push from my team mates I was able to find a way to do it….And that is what I’m about to share with you today. The trick is to lock all points and just unlock the point group you want to elevate. To demonstrate this workaround please click on continue reading…
Now that you decided to continue reading here are the steps to resolve this issue.
1. Right-click on _All Points in Prospector tab and choose Lock Points. As you know, _All Points point group is created automatically and by default will contain all civil points found in the drawing. This way you will prevent all points to be edited.
2. Remember, we want to change the elevation only on a selected point group . In order to do that we need to unlock all points from the desired point group. For sake of demonstration I’ll pick Storm Manholes, right-click on it and choose Unlock Points
3. From Modify ribbon click on Points icon. Program will display the contextual COGO Point ribbon. There click on Datum button and in the Command line type the elevation change. To raise type positive number such as 100, to lower type negative number such as –100.
4. If you select _All Points point group and choose Edit Points you’ll notice that only points belonging to Point Group Storm Manhole are changed.
5. Now all you need to do is to unlock _All Points point group and your points will be there (right-click on _All Points and chose Unlock).