In many times your vault files are good sitting on the server. But occasionally you need to move them around, move them from server to server or just transfer them to different location. First it’s important to understand the Vault Structure to ensure you are in fact moving File Store and database. FileStore is the location where your drawings with different versions, as well as other files associated with projects are stored. Vault Database is the database that stores information about these drawings, projects. In order for them to work correctly they must be synchronized.
If you are using a dedicated server for vault or if you are using Microsoft SQL 2005 Express that comes when you install Vault on your local machine you will need to move those MDF and LDF files, too. These files should be found in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data directory for local PC acting as a Vault Server. If you get to that point and if your Vault Architecture is complex I would advise you to ask your IT personnel for help and to have Advanced Configuration Guide handy. In this guide you can find many useful information about pretty much anything that’s important about Vault Configuration.
For moving vault from a place to a place there are two basic actions that must take place. Backing up the existing Vault and restoring the vault from backup to a new location. This is all done easily with Autodesk Data Management Server Console (ADMS Console). To run ADMS Console go to Start>Programs>Autodesk>Autodesk Data Management>Autodesk Data Management Server Console 2010.
Here are the steps:
Step 1: Backup
1. Select the Vault you would like to back up. In the same place you can see some basic information about your Database, settings and location of FileStore:
2. From tools menu choose Backup… and select the location where your files will be backed up. Also check Validate check box to verify the archive is good once it’s created. This will make backup run slower but will be helpful.
3. Once the backup finishes you will get a notification that backup was successful
Step 2: Restore
1. In the following steps and as a demonstration I will open Vault Explorer and remove some projects from it. Later I will restore these projects from a backup we created in Step 1.
2. Back in ADMS Console go Tools>Restore… Keep in mind that restoring a vault deletes the data sets and file store. You are prompted for confirmation before proceeding. Click Yes. Then browse to the location where your backup files are. Then
3. Program will move FileStore and Migrate Vault database and when done you should see a confirmation.
4. Now to see if program restored your projects by going to Vault Explorer and refreshing its content.