Most of you have probably done this before but in case some of you have not yet here are few things to have for reference. It is pretty common to carry survey data settings from version to version and previously it was pretty much copying and pasting files into new location. With introduction of AutoCAD Civil 3D 2011 and new Survey Database file format you were asked to perform migration to allow files to be used in 2011 version. In some of our previous posts we explained how to perform migration of database. Check my older post for more information about changes this year. The same idea should be applied when migrating these two components. It’s as easy as that!
So, to migrate Equipment Database (EDB) and Figure Prefix Databases (FDB) you need to copy all the desired FDB and EDB files from 2010 version to 2011, and then perform migration.
Here are the steps:
1. In Windows Explorer you will need to copy all FDB and EDB files you want to carry over to Civil 3D 2011. Go to C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\C3D 2010\enu\Survey or C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\C3D 2010\enu\Survey (Windows XP)
2. Copy your existing Figure Prefix database file and Equipment Database file (*.fdb and *.edb) files from Civil 3D 2010.
3. Then paste them into C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\C3D 2011\enu\Survey or C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\C3D 2011\enu\Survey (Windows XP). Now that files are copied you need to go into Civil 3D 2011 and do final step - Migration (file conversion).
4. Open AutoCAD Civil 3D 2011,and note that program displayed the exclamation points next to the names of the files that need to be migrated.
5. Then right-click on all of them and choose Migrate. If you go into C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\C3D 2011\enu\Survey directory you will notice new files with extensions EDB_XDEF and FDB_XDEF. These are the new files all ready for Civil 3D 2011!
6. Your Equipment Database and Figure Prefix Databases are now migrated and you have just performed your migration successfully.