Now that the news is out and I’m sure you paid close attention to what we had to say in the last few weeks. Pretty soon the sunny days will be over and you may nice that you either over customized your user settings OR messed up some of the command settings OR toolbars/ribbons (we all have done it, right?) OR something else. If you remember the mantra was asking you to perform “Secondary Installer” whenever you got stuck with a problem that only appears to be happening to you. You may also felt a little jealous seeing that your colleague was able to run the same program on your machine just fine. In those kinds of situation we often suggested that you reset your user settings to the out-of-box state. The procedure was pretty straight forward but since involved removing some entries from Registry, it was bit troublesome for some (especially) novice users. With the following procedure you will be able to make it run with just one click. It’s that simple. The trick is to add a shortcut to the startup menu. To see how….after the jump.
First thing we need to do is to create a shortcut in the directory where program has other shortcuts listed.
- Go into C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Autodesk\AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012
- Right-click in it and chose New and Shortcut
- In the next dialog paste following text (including quotes) "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012\AdMigrator.exe" /reset and click Next
- Then type Reset User Settings (or anything you wish) for a name of this shortcut and hit Finish
- Now go to Start>All Programs>Autodesk>AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 and note that Reset User Settings is listed
6. Now go ahead and run it if you wish
7. In case you have performed some changes you will be greeted by this dialog
If you choose Reset custom settings, you will get what was equivalent of “reinitiating secondary installer” or resetting user settings
Stay tuned for more tips.