I have to admit that it has been some time I have seen this feature, but when I think about it, it is quite useful feature that is often forgotten and is a great alternative to drawing templates. This allows quick and automated population of data fields in the drawing properties when you use DWGPROPS command. It allows users to insert pretty much whatever you want and then save you some time when setting up new project drawings. For instance you can use it to get something like this.
Another great thing about this feature is that it allows users to save these cusom fields and have them shared with other projects or drawings. This is where PROPULATE command comes handy, it allows creating a template (PRP file) that will save all your custom properties into a file and then insert it into your new drawing.
1. Open your drawing with customer drawing properties
2. In command line type PROPULATE and choose Edit template option
3. In Edit Propulate Template dialog under Template>Fill from Current Drawing (this will populate custom fields)
4. In the same dialog fill the desired information and File>Save As...
4. Name and save PRP file
5. Then you can open your destination drawing and save it
6. Invoke PROPULATE command and choose Active template
7. Select the PRP file created earlier and OK
8. In command line choose Update option and then Current drawing
Stay tuned for more.