After From Vault to Data Shortcuts v2.0 (2012 Version) I guess it's time for From Vault to Data Shortcuts v3.0. All you vault users probably realized that one very important project.xml file is not there anymore. It has been replaced by more robust .c3dData files. This switch basically made our previous version v2.0 obsolete. Thanks to Matt Kolberg who asked this question and a little push from our own Eddie Ng, I can now release the new workflow to allow you to convert Vault Projects to Data Shortcuts. Maybe conversion is a bit strong word, since it is not converting Vault project per se, but its copy, but you get the point.
The same applies in case you received your Vault project as a ZIP file and would like to continue using its data as Data Shortcuts.This is how you can convert your Vault project into Data Shortcuts.
1. Log into Vault
2. Right-Click on Project under project node and choose Export to ZIP file
3. Save to desired location
4. Unzip your Project into desired location (Working Folder)
5. From Start>Programs>Autodesk>Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D 2015 click on Data Shortcuts Editor
6. In Data Shortcut Editor go File>Open Data Shortcut Folder and browse to the location of your project you unzipped
7. In Data Shortcut Editor go Save As and ensure your project will be created to the location of your choice
Your project will now show _Shortcut folder which we need to tell program it's Civil Data Shortcut project.
8. Back in Civil 3D’s Prospector tab, right-click on Data Shortcuts node and ensure it is pointing to your Working Folder
9. Expand items underneath and confirm that objects (alignments, surfaces, Pipe Networks,..) are listed in there